A journalist who founded a now-defunct weekly newspaper 41 years ago has said the title should have been put up for sale before being closed.
But Tony Boullemier, who founded the Post in 1975, says the company should have given local entrepreneurs the chance to keep it going.
Although he admitted that, at 71, he was now “too old” to buy back the paper himself, he said it was a “crying shame” that no attempt had been made to find new owners.
Tony told HTFP: “I have no idea what the profitability of the title was but their last issue was stuffed with ads and ran to 56 pages – bigger than the 48 pages we started with and the low point of 16 at which point we brought it back from the brink.
“Presumably it wasn’t making the money Trinity reckoned its shareholders would want to see. So they simply cut it out, along with other titles at Milton Keynes and Luton.
“But I’m certain that a group of local operators such as ourselves would have been able to achieve good enough returns to make a decent living out of it. As we did.
“What on earth did they have to lose by not selling it on for a nominal sum and letting someone else have a go?”
Trinity Mirror acquired the Herald & Post as part of its £220m takeover of Local World in Octoiber 2015.
It said last week: “We took the difficult decision to close three free weekly titles in Luton, Milton Keynes and Northampton as part of a review of our portfolio, and after a full consultation with the staff affected.
“In the Bedfordshire region we are not exiting the market. We are increasing the focus on Bedfordshire on Sunday, increasing its distribution into Luton, and broadening its online coverage.”
The company has declined to comment specifically on whether the paper should have been offered for sale prior to its closure.
Last week the National Union of Journalists revealed it had written to the Competition and Markets Authority asking it to intervene.
The CMA carried out an investigation into the Local World deal at the time it went through, but decided to take no further action.
However the union is calling for that decision to be reviewed.