A regional publisher is set to close three free newspaper titles with up to 11 jobs at risk as a result.
All three newspapers were formerly owned by Local World and were purchased as part of TM’s £220m takeover of the rival group last year.
The proposed redundancies affect staff working in both editorial and commercial at the three titles, all of which compete in local markets against Johnston Press-owned paid-fors.
As part of the plans, three new roles – content manager, reporter and photographer – will be created at Bedfordshire on Sunday for three of the nine editorial staff at risk, meaning a reduction of up to six in that department.
In additon up to five commercial positions are set to be lost meaning a net reduction of 11 jobs in total.
Luton on Sunday was originally launched as a companion title to Bedfordshire on Sunday and was part of Iliffe News and Media before being absorbed into Local World in 2o12.
Trinity Mirror revealed that as part of the changes it would be expanding BoS with increased distribution into Luton.
A spokeswoman said: “We are closing three free weekly titles in Luton, Milton Keynes and Northampton as part of a review of our portfolio to look at how we best serve our readers and advertisers in these markets.
“We are not exiting these markets but will retain a presence in a different way. We believe there is a better way for us to provide content and commercial solutions for the local communities, for example through a schedule of niche products and awards & events.
“We will also be increasing the focus on Bedfordshire on Sunday which remains as both a print title and website. We will be increasing distribution of this title into Luton and broadening our online coverage.
“The number of roles we require to deliver the new portfolio of products is less than the current structure and as a result the business proposes to reduce the headcount, so unfortunately a number of roles in editorial and commercial are at risk of redundancy as part of these changes.”
The announcement of the Herald & Post’s closure comes 12 months after the paper celebrated its 40th anniversary.
Launch editor Tony Boullemier recalled last year that, at the time of its launch in 1975, some had predicted the paper “wouldn’t last six weeks.”
OneMK was formerly known as the MK News before rebranding earlier this year.
Laura Davison, NUJ national organiser, said: “This announcement has come as a bombshell to staff on these titles. Once again Trinity Mirror has announced a shutdown of papers with no consultation with journalists or readers.
“Local people, democratic bodies and businesses are going to be stripped of a voice and plurality will be massively undermined.
“The company’s actions smack of arrogance. These operations are already run on a shoe string and now more jobs are set to go. It is another big red warning flag hoisted over the crisis in quality local journalism.
“Other Local World centres have been reorganised, merged and staff cut since the Trinity Mirror take over. They have been treated as the poor relation with poverty pay and only statutory minimum redundancy pay outs.”