A football club committed a press ban U-turn just hours after barring a regional daily from attending its matches.
Notts County FC told the Nottingham Post on Friday it was banned from attending matches, along with BBC Radio Nottingham, after both organisations reported comments made by its manager Ricardo Moniz during his pre-match press conference.
However, the ban was lifted later that night and the Post was in attendance for County’s 1-1 draw with Accrington Stanley the following day.
The Post has previously had run-ins with County’s cross-city rivals Nottingham Forest, which led to a picture of former manager Billy Davies being used in a front page blurb advertising its weekly jobs supplement last year.
Discussing the issue with County prior to Saturday’s match, editor Mike Sassi said: “It was all a storm in a teacup and I am very happy the issue has been resolved.
“Disagreements happen, but we are all friends again now. We have a strong relationship with Notts and I wish them the very best of luck this afternoon.”
The change of heart by County comes after a summer of controversy between football clubs and the regional press, which has seen Blackpool, Newcastle United, Rangers and Swindon Town dish out bans to journalists.
Despite pleas from both the National Union of Journalists and Will Watt, football writer at The Gazette, Blackpool, for the Football Association to intervene over the spate of bans, the sport’s governing body has said it is “not within its power” to do so.
A statement from Notts County FC reads: “Following discussions between Notts and the Nottingham Post, it has been agreed that the club do not wish to damage the strong relationship that we have built up with the local media and hope that they can continue to enjoy the freedom to report on Notts County in a fair and balanced manner, for the betterment of all concerned.
“The club hopes that we can now draw a line under this issue and focus on matters on the pitch.”