A Scottish news and comments website has published an apology following a damning story it ran about a local weekly newspaper.
The website ran the story without a response from the newspaper or its publisher E & R Inglis Ltd.
In its apology ForArgyll said it did not intend any harm to the paper which it had always supported. The article has since been removed from the site.
It said: “On Monday September 13 we published an article on this website suggesting that the company that owns the Dunoon Observer and Argyllshire Standard was in such dire financial straits that it would be unlikely to survive until the end of this year.
“The content of this article was not checked with E & R Inglis Ltd., the company concerned, and the article contained several inaccuracies, which we would like to correct.
“E & R Inglis Ltd. owners of the newspaper established in 1871 have confirmed that the company remains profitable, and any assertion that it is in immediate danger of failing is incorrect.
“Further, the claim made in the article that another newspaper group was about to bid to purchase the newspaper is not based on fact. No contact has been made with or from any other business in this regard.”
An email from the newspaper company had been sent to ForArgyll but was not read because it had gone into the spam folder.
In a response which was printed on ForArgyll, the newspaper publisher said: “The company has introduced a number of measures in response to the current economic climate, in common with many other businesses in the region.
“The company is in a good trading position and will survive the current recession. A business plan, including substantial investment in new printing equipment, is in place to enable E & R Inglis to come out stronger on the other side.
“The allegations made on ForArgyll are not only inaccurate, but irresponsible and potentially damaging to a long-established Argyll family company.”
ForArgyll apologised unreservedly for any upset and damage to the business reputation of the newspaper and company.