Trainee Digital News Reporter
|Posted: Fri 7 Dec 2018||Closing Date: Fri 21 Dec 2018|
Trainee & junior reporters
|Employment Type:||Full time|
Gloucestershire Live is seeking to recruit a motivated and talented trainee reporter who is brimming with ideas to join our team.
A highly successful news, sport and what’s on website, Gloucestershire Live covers an incredibly diverse and stunning county in the beautiful West Country.
The successful candidate will write content for GloucestershireLive.co.uk, with their stories also going in the Citizen and Echo newspapers, covering Gloucester, Stroud, Cheltenham, Cotswolds and Forest of Dean.
We are looking for someone who works quickly and accurately under pressure, is able to bring in their own stories and is determined to make a name for themselves in the industry.
This is an exciting opportunity where you would be joining a newsroom full of talented, self-driven journalists.
- Deliver high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content
- Write content in a way which engages and drives digital audience
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and broadcast
- Shoot video, audio and take pictures when out on jobs
- Source third-party and social content
- Use search analytics to identify digital audience and content trends
- Build strong contacts for story gathering within local communities
- Be adept on social media to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared on social platforms
- Taking responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or other area of interest, as directed
The Ideal Candidate
- You’ll have an NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification
- Up to date IPSO and legal knowledge
- Understanding of all the storytelling requirements of a digital newsroom including SEO and social media
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Brilliant ideas for engaging and shareable content
- You will be motivated by the challenge of producing stories ready for digital audience spikes
- Experience shooting and editing video
- Shorthand at 100 wpm
- Full driving licence
Where you will be based
You will be working in our Gloucester office and remotely when required. GloucestershireLive is based in the heart of the historic Quays area of the county capital. Gloucestershire is one of the most visited counties in the UK for good reason, as it is home to international tourist hotspot the Cotswolds, brilliant festivals and arts events in Cheltenham and Stroud and Gloucester Cathedral, where the cloisters were featured in the Harry Potter films.
- A Dell Latitude laptop and an iPhone SE
- 25 days holiday
- A training ground which has launched the careers of people now reporting for some of the country’s biggest dailies and nationals
- A patch which takes in beautiful countryside, growing urban hubs, gorgeous towns and international events
- Support to help you through the trainee process, with copy clinics, 121 coaching and exam revision sessions
- Payment for any outstanding NCTJ diploma exams, law refresher courses and a comprehensive training programme to complete the Certificate of Digital Journalism
- Career progression and development in a company which runs more than 150 newspaper titles and more than 80 news websites
- Cutting edge digital thinking and innovation, which will develop your web and social media skills
- Subsidised SimplyHealth health insurance scheme and a range of other voluntary flexible Reach plc employee benefits (including contributory pension scheme, car scheme, holiday purchase, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, staff discounts, season tickets and parking loans)
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
We will be considering applicants as they apply and will be conducting interviews in early January 2019, so please don’t delay in submitting your application.
To apply, please see further details on our website https://jobs.reachplc.com/job-description/id/0000000533.
The closing date for this position is 21 December 2018.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 21st December 2018.