Local Democracy Reporter
DC Thomson Media
|Posted:||Tue 20 Jul 2021|
|Closing Date:||Tue 3 Aug 2021|
Local democracy reporters
DC Thomson Media's newspapers pride themselves on their coverage of council business because they are the heartbeat of our local communities.
Now, as part of a partnership with the BBC, we are looking for an outstanding journalist to join our Local Democracy Reporting team and get to the heart of local government in Angus and Dundee.
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about local government and governance and has the drive to get to the bottom of the stories that really matter to our audiences.
The successful candidate will be responsible for covering council meetings and key decisions in their area, and ensuring audiences are kept informed and engaged on local democratic issues.
They should provide reliable, fair, balanced and timely multimedia content on local democracy issues in their area.
The Local Democracy Reporter post available is to cover Angus and Dundee councils and will be based in our Dundee office.
If you're looking for a challenge to get your teeth into, this role could be for you. The Local Democracy Reporting Service, which is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of councils and other publicly funded organisations across the UK, is being expanded this year to include more reporters and greater coverage.
Content produced through the scheme will appear in DC Thomson Media's newspapers and associated websites and is also made available to other media involved in the scheme.
If you would like to hear directly from some Local Democracy Reporters describing their work and their roles, please watch this short video: https://www.stage.bbc.co.uk/lnp/ldrs/ldr_advice
To be a serious contender you must:
· Have good writing skills, up-to-date legal knowledge, 100 wpm shorthand
· Be a qualified journalist, hold National Qualification in Journalism (NQJ) (or similar) qualification, or experience as a reporter in a daily news environment and/or working to daily news deadlines is highly desirable
· Have excellent social media skills
· Be excellent at working under pressure and identifying priorities
· Be familiar with digital tools and techniques across a range of mobile devices
· Have a strong understanding of working and processes within local government
· Have demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
· A track-record in strong contact-building skills
· Proficiency in taking images, shooting video and gathering audio
To apply for this role, please follow our online application process and submit a CV and cover letter.
This is a full time, temporary position, working 35 hours per week based in our Meadowside Office. We offer a generous package including health cash plan, excellent pension, a competitive salary, and many more staff discounts and benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristics.
If you have any issues with your application, please email email@example.com
For further information, please visit dcthomson.co.uk/vacancies
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 3rd August 2021
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Tuesday 3rd August 2021.
DC Thomson Dundee,DD4