AddThis SmartLayers

Editor recalls emotional scenes on 10th anniversary of newspaper closure

The former editor of a much-loved regional newspaper has recalled the emotional newsroom scenes as he oversaw the production of its last ever edition ten years ago this week.

Mark Thomas posted on social media platform ‘X’ on Monday marking the fact that it was exactly a decade since The Liverpool Post last rolled off the presses for the last time.

The newspaper had enjoyed 158 years on the news-stands of Merseyside, but had been ravaged by poor circulation figures and declining advertising revenues.

Despite being relaunched as a weekly title in the years leading up to its demise, it wasn’t enough to secure a future, and the decision was made to plough remaining resources into sister paper the Echo, and its new Sunday edition.

The final ever edition of The Liverpool Post was published ten years ago this week.

The final ever edition of The Liverpool Post, published ten years ago this week.

Speaking to HTFP, Mark recalls his sadness at saying goodbye to a product that everyone knew was good quality, but which simply could not be afforded.

“We were sharing more and more resources between the two newspapers, and it was getting tougher to sustain two daily titles in the same city,” he said.

“The Echo and the Post were very different and distinctive in style and voice, with the Echo being very much the mass market popular tabloid, and the Post being a more serious paper, particularly strong on business, political and arts coverage.

“It also had some great features and sports writers and had a reputation for award-winning campaigning and investigative journalism. High profile regular external columnists like Phil Redmond and Mark Lawrenson also enriched the mix.

“It was a very influential voice in public life across the Liverpool City Region, but unfortunately that did not translate into high enough circulation figures, or attract sufficient advertising revenue, to remain viable, despite the best efforts of a very talented and dedicated team of journalists.”

It was hoped that the switch to a weekly title would enable it to find a new lease of life, but sadly it was not to be, and the final edition of the The Liverpool Post was published on Thursday, December 19, 2013.

“The relaunch as a weekly was a last throw of the dice, really,” admitted Mark. “We put a lot of imagination and effort into it, with a great new design and a lot of well-researched exclusive content across news, business and sport.

“Again, the product was admired and respected by its loyal readers, but just couldn’t sustain a large enough readership to keep its head above water.”

“That last Wednesday press day was an emotional affair. A lot of people in that newsroom had put their hearts and souls into the Post and seeing it all come to an end was a bitter pill to swallow.

“The one consolation was that, at least on this occasion, nobody was losing their jobs. The Echo was to launch a new Sunday edition, and that made sure that the team would remain gainfully employed.

“When the deadline passed at 5pm, there was a traditional banging out ceremony – a cacophony of noise as journalists from both papers gathered around the newsdesk to say a final goodbye to a wonderful newspaper.”

Come January 2014, Mark would move onto North Wales to take over as editor of the North Wales Daily Post, but the memories of that night still burn bright.

“There were a few red eyes, and a little bit of a sense of disbelief that, just like that, such a great Merseyside institution was coming to an end,” he said.

“There followed the traditional ‘debrief’ in the office pub, The Cross Keys, with guest appearances from some old friends of the paper.

“As you will have seen from the response to the anniversary, the Liverpool Daily Post still retains an extraordinary level of affection from the Merseyside community and is genuinely and sorely missed by those who used to read it.”