A journalist who lost a holiday last year after a travel agent went bust is facing the prospect of losing another due to new quarantine measures.
Simon Smedley, of the Oldham Chronicle, says he has been left in a state of “total confusion” after the government decided on Saturday to impose a 14-day quarantine on people arriving in the UK from Spain.
Simon, pictured, and his partner Tracey had booked a break to Benidorm for 11 days from 19 August, but are now uncertain over whether it will go ahead.
The couple previously missed out on a trip to Turkey last year due to the demise of Thomas Cook.
Simon told the Chronicle: “We just feel in a state of total confusion at the moment. We just don’t know what’s going to happen with our holiday.
“We’ve not heard anything official from Jet2, but we can see they are still flying to Spain, which seems a bit crazy really.
“Hopefully we’ll find out a bit more over the coming days.
“We don’t know whether we’re coming or going right at this moment.”
In a statement, Jet2 said: “Following the latest government advice regarding travel to the UK from Spain, we are advising customers to arrive for their flights as normal, as we are continuing to operate our scheduled programme to and from Mainland Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands.
“We are still operating flights and holidays to four destinations in Mainland Spain (Costa de Almeria, Alicante, Malaga and Murcia), which are open and are located away from areas which have been impacted by increased cases of Covid-19.
“In light of the updated advice from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), we are providing customers travelling to these four destinations with a number of options including continuing with their travel as planned, a refund credit note, a fee free amendment, or a refund.”