Industrial action is in prospect at a series of Scottish titles after talks to avoid compulsory redundancies apparently broke down.
Yesterday the union claimed via Twitter that there had been “no progress” in the talks and that action was now “inevitable.”
Union members at the group, which publishes Glasgow-based daily The Herald along with the Evening Times and Sunday Herald, were balloted on industrial action earlier this month with the result due to be announced on 25 July.
The latest update appeared on the @NUJSscotland Twitter feed yesterday afternoon.
It read: “No progress in last ditch talks to avoid compulsory redundancies at Newsquest(Herald&EveningTimes). Eight members tapped. Action inevitable.”
NUJ Scotland organiser Paul Holleran told HTFP that nine members of staff had so far volunteered for redundancy and that a further eight were now at risk of compulsory redundancy.
“I expect there to be a vote in favour of action given the strength of feeling,” he said.
A spokesman for the Herald & Times group declined to comment on the union’s claims.