|Posted:||Mon 4 Nov 2019|
|Closing Date:||Fri 22 Nov 2019|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
• Editing copy, written by reporters or features writers, to remove spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
• Rewriting material so that it flows or reads better and adheres to the house style and fits the relevant word count
• Writing headlines that capture the essence of the story or are clever or amusing
• Checking facts and stories to ensure to ensure they are accurate and legally safe
• Consulting with reporter/writer in order to resolve issues with copy and keeping chief subs informed on changes that arise as stories develop
• Able to suggest new angles to news/features desks
• Must have and maintain a wide knowledge of current affairs and trends through reading various titles as well as utilising other media platforms daily.
Experience and requirements
• Minimum two years’ subbing experience on either a national or regional daily newspaper.
• Creative, flexible and calm under pressure with the ability to turn their hand to News and Features.
• A broad knowledge of current affairs and popular culture is essential.
• Awareness of legal and IPSO requirements.
• Excellent grasp of English language.
• Able to work under pressure of tight and frequent deadlines
• Well organised
• Adaptability – able to adapt style dependent on the story
The Company is an equal opportunities employer and wholeheartedly supports the principle of equal opportunities for all its employees and for all applicants for employment. It opposes all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We are a diverse and team so want to maximise every individual’s potential to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised and utilised.
This means affording equal access to any employment opportunities within the Company according to your ability, without prejudice or discrimination by reason of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital status, disability or age.
Apply via our website here: https://www.newscareers.co.uk/vacancies/303/sub-editor.html
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 22nd November 2019.