Weston Mercury, Weston Midweek and North Somerset Times
|Posted:||Thu 4 Jul 2019|
|Closing Date:||Fri 19 Jul 2019|
Trainee & junior reporters
|Employment Type:||Full time|
|Salary:||£16,500 to £19,000|
Our lively, innovative and forward-thinking editorial team in Weston-super-Mare is looking for a reporter to join its news team. You would be working with three of our much-loved titles the Weston Mercury, Weston Midweek and North Somerset Times contributing to these newspapers and their ever-growing websites
This full-time role would suit someone who has a passion for news and wants to break into local journalism, you may have the right qualifications but very little experience or you may have worked on a good weekly paper and are looking for a fresh challenge – either way we would like you to apply.
With a base from our offices in Weston you will be required to create and cover stories across the region as well as working with key organisations to keep in touch with their PR and current news stories. You will have a flair for and enjoy creating content which is engaging for all platforms - websites, print and mobile. On occasion you will need to produce video and pictures to engage audiences with digital content that is lively and current. You will be given scope to find your own news as well as working on stories as directed by the senior editorial team.
You would be working with seven other editorial team members working only a handful of weekends each year and a rota system to cover the hours between 7am and 7pm Monday to Friday. It is essential that you drive and have access to a vehicle.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Level 3 NCTJ diploma in journalism is essential
- NQJ is preferable.
- Ability to produce sparkling copy for our newspapers and websites
- Good knowledge of the local area (desirable)
- Strong digital audience awareness for content
- Able to produce video and picture content
- Excellent news judgement
- Ideas for print and digital platforms
- Full valid driving licence
It is essential that you have your NCTJ preliminary qualifications as a minimum requirement for this opportunity. If you have gone on to complete your senior exams we are also very keen to hear from you and can clarify that we would be looking to offer you the higher end of the salary indicated below
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary dependent on qualifications/ experience £16,500 to £19,000
- Fully qualified individuals will qualify for senior development plan, increasing salary potential of up to £23,000 over a period a time.
- Full 25 days paid holiday + statutory bank holidays
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Annual Volunteer work day
- Archant Gold – matched charity fundraising
- Give as You Earn – tax-free charity giving scheme
- Structured career progression, ongoing training and personal performance reviews
We are Archant. The UK’s leading local media company.
Archant people are driven, motivated and passionate about positive change.
We are proud of our history…of our trusted, market-leading heritage newspaper and magazine brands that remain an integral part of everyday life.
But we’re forward-thinking people too. We obsess about innovation, creativity, service and expertise, relentlessly striving to be the most engaging media in every community we serve.
We are on a mission to make digital marketing accessible to all. We build websites, provide complete SEO services and deliver targeted, bespoke digital campaigns that fit our clients’ objectives seamlessly.
We produce video, animation, e-newsletters, apps, blogs – content that brings storytelling to life.
We stage vibrant, celebrated, must-attend events where like-minded people come together…
And because we’re ideas people, we think fluidly. Our multi-award winning ‘New European’ national tabloid broke all records as the fastest newspaper launch in history – just nine days from concept to hitting the shops.
A few facts about us:
- We operate over 140 news, lifestyle and special-interest brands throughout Britain.
- Every member of our family receives ongoing development from in-house trainers, complete with interactive online learning. Over 20 modules to choose from keeps you at the top of your game.
- There’s always something new. Hive, our in-house social media, allows you to find new friends with shared interests and have your say on all things Archant. Come join our ‘Archanteers’ and help organise some rip-roaring team nights out!
- Archant’s state-of-the-art print centre team have won numerous awards for their service levels and green credentials. As well as our own newspapers, we print over 40 other publications for brands including The Racing Post, Classic Car Weekly and Oxfam. Our giant presses can print 22 full newspapers per second!
- Dialogue is our content marketing agency, producing gorgeous magazines for clients including Bentley, Center Parcs, Royal Ascot and Harley Davidson.
- We stage over 100 must-attend events per year. From intimate and interactive digital learning sessions for SMEs…to major show-stoppers at London Olympia.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV to email@example.com
Please note that if you have not been invited in for an interview within two weeks of your application, then you can assume on this occasion that you have been unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to change the closing date at any time during the recruitment process, so please apply asap as we will be dealing with applications as soon as they arrive.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 19th July 2019.
Archant United Kingdom
Reporter-JD.doc 68 kB