Local Democracy Reporters x 30
Based: Various Locations
|Posted: Wed 13 Dec 2017||Closing Date: Mon 5 Feb 2018|
|Employment Type:||Fixed-term contract|
As part of a UK-wide ground-breaking initiative between the BBC and regional publishers, we are seeking to recruit thirty Local Democracy Reporters based across the UK, initially on a two-year fixed term contract.
About the Scheme:
This unique scheme is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of local authorities across the UK. Funded by the BBC and run by media publishers, the reporters will offer in-depth coverage of our local authorities. The key aim will be to ensure deep scrutiny of the way our local government institutions operate, decisions they make and how they spend public money. Successful applicants will play a vital part in launching the scheme and ensuring it is a success, with the aim of expanding it in future years.
Acting as a trusted source of news and ambassador for the scheme, the successful applicant will be adept at identifying issues and stories buried in council agendas which need to be brought to the public’s attention. Reporting to the local Editor, this role offers the chance to get involved at the start of a high-profile initiative and help shape the future of the scheme.
Key responsibilities will involve:
- Delivering strong content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required
- Creating engaging content which drives audience through SEO and social media awareness
- Ensuring all content is politically-neutral and balanced, providing a fair reflection of views
- Ensuring agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public’s attention
- Delivering live content, providing two-way interviews for broadcast media
- Providing monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
- Ensuring that all matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the Local Democracy Reporter Scheme Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience-friendly way
To be considered for this role, you will be qualified to NCE or NQJ standard, or equivalent with two years experience working to daily deadlines alongside shorthand proficiency of 100wpm. This essential criteria will go hand in hand with your ability to provide outstanding content in text, audio and video format. You will be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the workings of local government and a track record of delivering great ideas for content and building contacts. A solid working knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement is essential for this role. You will be an excellent communicator, enjoy working under pressure and thrive on the unique challenge this role offers.
Although based in the newsroom detailed above, you will be providing copy for all publishers signed up to the scheme.
Package Description/Important Information:
This role is a 2 year fixed term contract. As part of this, the successful candidate can look forward to a competitive salary, holiday entitlement, pension scheme plus other benefits available to you as a Johnston Press employee.
Johnston Press plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
The vacancies are based in various local authority regions across the UK
|APPLICATION REFERENCE||LOCAL AUTHORITY REGIONS||NUMBER OF VACANCIES||VACANCIES BY OFFICE LOCATIONS|
|E2 North East||Sunderland/Durham/
|2||2 x Sunderland|
|E5 North West||Lancashire/Cumbria||5||1 x Preston
1 x Blackpool
1 x Blackburn*
2 x Cumbria*
|4||3 x Sheffield
1 x Rotherham*
|5||2 x Leeds Office
1 x Wakefield / Halifax
1 x Huddersfield*
1 x Bradford*
|E27 Sussex||Brighton/Sussex||3||1 x Chichester
1 x Eastbourne or Brighton
1 x Brighton*
|E31 Home C||Hertfordshire/Luton/Bedford||4||3 x Milton Keynes
1 x Luton
|3||1 x Fife
1 x Perth / Stirling*
1 x Alloa*
|S9 Edinburgh||Falkirk/Edinburgh/Lothians||4||1 x Falkirk
1 x Edinburgh
1 x Bathgate*
1 x Haddington*
* Vacancies in italic : This role is part of a contract awarded by the BBC to Johnston Press, in partnership with other regional publishers. The successful candidate for this role will be based in another regional publishers newsroom, and be employed by them.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, please ensure you include the application reference and location in your email.
Deadline for applications TBC.
For more information please email: email@example.com,
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Monday 5th February 2018.