Local Democracy Reporters
|Posted: Fri 2 Feb 2018||Closing Date: Fri 2 Mar 2018|
Trainee & junior reporters
|Employment Type:||Fixed-term contract|
Are you a qualified reporter looking for the next step in your career? Or a trainee approaching your senior quals?
Do you want to work on one of the most exciting and high-profile projects in UK journalism?
Do you want to see your work appear in some of the country's biggest and best newspapers and websites, as well as getting the chance to appear on BBC radio and TV broadcasts?
We are looking for a team of enthusiastic and committed reporters who will be the public's eyes and ears inside councils around Britain.
Trinity Mirror is leading the way in the BBC's Local News Partnership scheme to create and fund 147 local democracy journalists to offer in-depth coverage of every local authority in the country.
The UK's largest regional news provider is home to titles such as the MEN, Liverpool Echo, Daily Post, Birmingham Mail, Stoke Sentinel, Bristol Post, Hull Daily Mail, Cornwall Live, Media Scotland titles and many more outlets besides.
Trinity Mirror has now won contracts to employ 55 reporters - who will each provide unparalleled coverage from their area for local and regional titles, websites and BBC radio and TV.
We hope this project will redefine how councils are covered and the decisions they make are reported on and scrutinised - helping shed even more light on the issues which affect millions of people every day. We want to help redefine the relationship between the public and those who spend public money, with content produced from our newsrooms shared across the industry.
We need journalists with a proven track record in newsgathering or the demonstrable potential to become a newsroom star.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in busy newsrooms and would suit someone looking for the next step on their career - maybe moving from a weekly to a daily newsroom - or an established reporter seeking to get stuck into a solid new role in a busy daily environment.
The key aim will be to ensure deep scrutiny of the way our local government institutions operate, decisions they make and how they spend public money.
From the Grenfell tragedy to poverty and homelessness, this year has seen a vast array of stories hit the headlines which originate in decisions made at a local level.
Our reporters will ensure there is scrutiny of the way our local government institutions operate and the decisions they make and the stories they unearth could potentially make front page news around the country and engage readers online too.
The successful candidates can also look forward to a competitive salary, holiday entitlement, pension scheme plus other benefits.
To be considered for the role, you ideally must:
- Be a senior journalist, qualified to NCE-standard or equivalent with two years experience.
- Have shorthand proficiency of 100wpm (However we will consider trainees approaching senior quals)
- Have the ability to report in a clear, precise and balanced manner and pay close attention to detail
- Have faultless newsgathering skills. Able to spot a frontpage story buried in a council report or in an off-hand comment during a council debate.
- Have a robust understanding of local government and public affairs and the ability to identify issues and stories which need to be brought to the public's attention
- Be comfortable with appearing on and off-camera (full training will be provided)
The roles are based in cities and towns around England, Wales and Scotland (click below for the full list of locations)
This is a unique opportunity for reporters looking to move on in their careers, get experience of working within a busy Trinity Mirror newsroom and hungry to be involved in a high-profile and exciting project where your work will be used by an array of outlets and will ultimately shape the future of the scheme.
The roles we are recruiting for are based in:
- Staffordshire: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5946
- Liverpool: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5943
- Hull: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5944
- West Midlands: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5945
- Black Country: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5954
- North West: http://jobsearch.trinitymirror.com/jobs/job/Local-Democracy-Reporter/5942
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 2nd March 2018.
Trinity Mirror United Kingdom