Local Democracy Reporter
|Posted:||Fri 21 May 2021|
|Closing Date:||Mon 19 Jul 2021|
Local democracy reporters
A multi award-winning news service, Caerphilly Observer has been redefining local media since it was launched in 2009.
As a leading, independently owned and reader-focused organisation, we empower our team to do innovative and inspiring work.
We have been awarded the contract for the BBC’s Local News Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) to cover the Caerphilly and Newport council areas and we are looking for the right reporter to find out what is going on at the two local authorities.
As part of the BBC’s LDRS, our reporter will be producing engaging, reliable, fair, balanced, and timely multimedia content for us and other partner media.
You can find out more about the role of a local democracy reporter at https://www.stage.bbc.co.uk/lnp/ldrs/ldr_advice
The ideal candidate...
- Good writing skills, up-to-date legal knowledge, 100wpm shorthand
- National Qualification in Journalism (NQJ) (or similar) qualification, or a minimum of two years’ experience as a reporter in a daily news environment and/or working to daily news deadlines is highly desirable
- Excellent social media skills
- Excellent at working under pressure and identifying priorities
- Be familiar with digital tools and techniques across a range of mobile devices
- Strong understanding of working and processes within local government
Demonstrable experience of delivering great ideas for content
- Strong contact-building skills
- Proficiency taking images, shooting video and gathering audio
- A driving licence is preferable
What we offer...
- A unique opportunity to be a member of a close-knit team which excels at ‘punching above its weight’ at delivering journalism that actually matters to people
- A competitive salary
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- A role to help you develop, grow, and learn new skills. We are based at the Welsh Innovation Centre for Enterprise which regularly hold a wide variety of training workshops
A diverse workplace means a wealth of ideas and approaches and we are committed to being an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, disability, gender identity, marital status, background, circumstance, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
Salary dependent on experience.
To apply for this position, please email a CV and covering letter to: LDRS@caerphilly.observer
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Monday 19th July 2021.