Health Service Journal
|Posted:||Wed 23 Jan 2019|
|Closing Date:||Thu 28 Feb 2019|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
|Salary:||£32,000 – 35,000 (DoE)|
Are you an experienced Journalist, Reporter or Correspondent who would like to work for one of the most respected titles on public services and policy?
Are you an analytical thinker, with an ability to understand complex issues, as well as a news sense and a strong writing style?
We are now looking for an experienced Correspondent to join our award-winning team at Health Service Journal.
HSJ offers the opportunity for your work to be recognised on the national stage - our team scooped five nominations and two award wins at last year’s Press Gazette awards - and to make an impact in one of the largest and most rewarding beats.
So, what would you be doing…?
Your responsibilities will include contributing to our nationally leading news coverage of health policy, performance, care standards and safety, finance, technology and service transformation. You will also contribute to HSJ Intelligence, our award-winning service that provides detailed insight into the challenges facing NHS organisations at a local level, and to HSJ's events.
HSJ is part of Wilmington Healthcare. Wilmington Healthcare is an unrivalled, single healthcare data, education and information resource with outstanding analytics capabilities. We provide our clients with market leading insight into local health economies, complemented by increased access to senior health stakeholders and the wider NHS which results in effective and actionable insights. We are able to offer exceptional career development opportunities at #WilmingtonCareers.
Duties and requirements of the role:
- Sourcing and writing exclusive news stories
- Building relationships with very senior people, to establish a wide array of contacts across the health service
- Building deep expertise in one or more areas of health policy, performance and operation, and how these affect the NHS’s relationships with those who work with it, as well as patients who rely on it
- Communicating your expert knowledge as a public speaker and on video, as well as in your writing
- Being able to analyse the biggest issues and challenges facing the health service and individual organisations
- Ability to think analytically to make judgements about complex issues such as health policy, management and performance, and about individual organisations
- Informing your work with data.
- Understanding complex reports and structures
Skills and Experience Required
You will need:
- Relevant experience working in journalism – for example covering health for a regional, national or specialist title/website, or other areas of policy or public services – although exceptional candidates with experience in other related spheres, such as analysis and research, will also be considered
- To be able to build relationships with very senior people, to establish a wide array of contacts
- The ability to communicate your expert knowledge through public speaking and video, as well as in your writing
- Be experienced in routinely using data to inform your analysis and illustrate your work; including use of financial information
- Have the ability to think analytically and to make judgements about complex issues
- Understand complex reports and structures
- Reporting qualifications, such as good shorthand and NCTJ certificates, are a plus, though not essential.
Before you go...
Thanks for reading our job advert. We’ve tried to bring to life what it’s like working as part of Wilmington Plc but we do so much that it’s tough to distil into a single page. We also recognise that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job unless they think they match every requirement. Don’t let that hold you back. If you are excited about the role and think you can do much of what we have described but aren’t sure if you are quite who we’re looking for… give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
Come join us!
At Wilmington Plc, we know how hard our employees work and the contributions they make to our business. As such we offer attractive salary packages that include some fantastic benefits such as performance related bonus, contributory pension scheme with life assurance, private healthcare, 25 days' annual holiday but also flexible benefits that allows you to tailor your choices to suit your needs i.e. you can purchase additional holidays, discount vouchers, heavily subsidised gym membership, cycle to work schemes and dining cards.
We offer variety, development and an opportunity to be part of a committed group of colleagues. We operate an open environment where you’ll be encouraged to make an impact. At Wilmington, our collaborative approach means your great ideas will be welcomed and your great work recognised.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this role. Statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for this position.
*Please note that this role may remain advertised until an offer of employment has been made.
We are focused on ensuring that Wilmington remains a great place to work. We value our people and we continue to invest in their career development. We encourage learning, and career opportunities are possible across all Wilmington companies
Please apply via the company website at https://careers-wilmingtonplc.icims.com/jobs/1697/hsj-correspondent/job
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Thursday 28th February 2019.
Wilmington Plc United Kingdom