Group Editor / Senior Editors
Archant South West titles
Based: Agile / Weston-super-Mare / Exeter
|Posted:||Tue 7 Sep 2021|
|Closing Date:||Tue 21 Sep 2021|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
Job Title GROUP EDITOR or SENIOR EDITORS (South West - Devon/Somerset)
Location 'Agile' with some time spent in offices located in Weston-super-mare or Exeter as required (the company reserves the right to move place of work at any time)
Reporting Relationships Direct report to the Senior Group Editor.
Direct reports include Community Editors, Senior Reporters and Trainee Reporters.
Job Purpose To drive forward Archant’s vision and content strategy at local level and play a key role in transforming the content function so that we are fit for purpose for the future.
To be the go-to expert of their communities/marketplace, titles and audience and responsible for producing a body of local, relevant, quality content for multi-destination purpose for several titles.
To be the editor and manager of a content team and lead and develop that team to achieve success, through day-to-day management, performance management and coaching. Promote positive thinking around the vision for content across Archant among the team, and to motivate and inspire the team to produce the best content that meets the needs of local audiences.
To develop and nurture relationships within the communities that we serve so that our products are a central point of the marketplace.
Job Dimensions The Group Editor (all South West) or Senior Editor (either Devon or Somerset) role forms a network of dynamic, forward-thinking and highly-skilled journalists who will be responsible for implementing key change in their content teams. They will work closely together, and with the Senior Group Editor, to realise and champion the vision for the content function within Archant.
This Group Editor will have responsibility for multiple titles (The Sidmouth Herald, Midweek Herald and Exmouth Journal in Devon and The Weston Mercury and North Somerset Times in Somerset) and platforms and must consider each in equal measure.
On top of creating quality content within the team, the editor will help build a network of community contributors to enhance our publications and platforms.
Organisational Chart Reports directly to the Senior Group Editor.
• Leads the audience-focused content agenda for the team(s) ensuring a flow of accurate, quality, relevant, informative and entertaining content throughout the working day and in line with audience expectations at audience peak times.
• Ensuring print and production deadlines and demands are kept separate from content creation.
• Manages diaries and rotas, leads strong forward planning ethos, holds daily content meetings and weekly forward planning and content review meetings.
• Produces wide variety of content beyond print – visuals, video, gallery, social, quiz, listicles, features etc
• Leads the team, including performance management, Check-Ins, 121s and mentoring. Supports trainees through their NQJ. Tackle staff issues or cultural negativity where necessary.
• Communicates effectively with the team and disseminates information as appropriate. Communicates wider business strategy and feeds back on wider performance.
• Put digital at the heart of the content room by keeping it on the agenda. Use analytics to monitor site growth and evaluate the performance of reporters. Create forums (touchpoints, brainstorms, planning meetings) to generate discussion.
• Champion importance of best practice and process and ensures it is followed robustly. Work alongside other editors to ensure there is continuity and shared experience, ideas and best practice.
• Nurture relationships with sales managers to ensure collective goals are met.
• Create and nurture relationships with the community, external point of contact for the public. Work with the Senior Group Editor to establish community partnerships.
• Help to create a network of relevant community contributors as part of Archant’s Your Posts strategy
• Ensure all content sits within IPSO and legal regulations, is fair and balanced, and non-sensationalist.
• Follow a personal development plan and mentoring programme and ensure SMART personal goals are met.
• Understand the value of social media; to be active on social media and to use your social media accounts to publicise your own work and the work of colleagues, within Archant’s social media guidelines.
Most challenging part of the job Responsibility for portfolio of newspaper brands plus associated products, being an effective leader and communicator; managing time effectively and efficiently so that all tasks and responsibilities are completed and met as well as investing time in personal development. Implementing significant change in the content room.
Health & Safety All employees must observe and comply with Archant’s policies and procedures for health and safety
Equal Opportunities Statement All employees must observe and continually promote equal opportunities and customer care in compliance with Archant’s aims and objectives
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Tuesday 21st September 2021.
Phone: 07785 616205