Society of Editors
|Posted:||Mon 26 Apr 2021|
|Closing Date:||Fri 14 May 2021|
|Employer:||Society of Editors|
|Employment Type:||Part time|
Role: Executive Director, Society of Editors
The Society of Editors is seeking an Executive Director to lead its campaigning work.
With members in national, regional, and local media, journalism education and media law, the SoE has represented the industry at the highest level for 21 years, campaigning and lobbying on behalf of press freedom, editorial standards and the public right to know.
The Society is also responsible for organising and delivering the industry’s premier awards events The Press Awards and The Regional Press Awards on an annual basis.
Our Executive Director plays a vital part in this work. Reporting to the Board of Directors, your role will include:
- Developing and evaluating Society programmes and initiatives including the Press Awards and the Satchwell Lecture
- As directed by the board, promoting Society diversity and inclusion initiatives, and liaising with external stakeholders
- Representing the organisation in public relations matters
- Liaising with and investigating ways to grow the Society’s membership
- Developing and supporting fundraising activities
- Overseeing the organisation's financial accounts and budgeting
- Representing the Society at formal events
- Expanding the Society’s presence and public awareness of its services and efforts
We are looking for a candidate who has proven experience of leadership in journalism and a passion for the Society’s mission: To campaign for the universal right to press freedom, the importance of news media in a democratic society, the promotion of the public’s right to know and a commitment to high editorial standards.
In addition, you will possess:
- Understanding of the UK media landscape
- Strong marketing, presenting and public relations skills
- A deep commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Good organisational, digital and creative skills
- Experience of managing budgets and accounting practices
- Experience of and commitment to ethical business practices
This is a Consultancy basis, equivalent to three days per week.
For further details apply to the Appointments Committee, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to be received by May 14.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 14th May 2021.
Society of Editors