Digital Content Editor
|Posted: Wed 9 Jan 2019||Closing Date: Wed 23 Jan 2019|
Digital content producers
|Employment Type:||Full time|
We are looking for a Digital Content Editor to help run the Somerset/Bath Live newsdesk.
Somerset Live is one of the fastest growing news websites within the Reach Plc portfolio. Bath Live sits within the Somerset site with a focus on retail, restaurants, education, transport and development.
As a Content Editor you will be part of the Yeovil-based team which manages, edits and publishes news and other content on our website.
You will help manage reporters, plan advance content, identify high-performing content themes, react to audience trends and analytics, be prolific on social media and ensure the team achieves goals and targets.
Our aim is to produce the very highest standard of content that informs, interests and engages our audience.
The role involves shift work including earlies, lates and weekends.
We are part of the Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset and Dorset region of Reach Plc where we pride ourselves on our high standards, brilliant training and being great colleagues. Our ethos is: Think like a reader, deliver the detail, and be lovely to deal with.
Who are we? We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
- Commission, manage, edit, produce, publish and share the highest standard of content as part of a team
- Put the audience at the front of the creation of every piece of content
- Motivate and inspire our writers to produce content our audience wants to read
- Ensure digital targets are reached
- Provide a superb news and entertainment service to the people of Somerset, Bath and beyond.
- Understand the Somerset Live/Bath Live brands
- Maintain editorial, ethical and legal standards across digital platforms
- Support the continued growth of the newsroom and audience
- Steer journalists in how to build contacts and tell stories in the most effective way
- Ensure feedback is given to writers based on analytics
- Produce and publish content using images, video, audio, blogs and other digital storytelling tools
- Be part of the team which manages the brand social channels ensuring they have an engaging and consistent voice. Be able to spot content opportunities through social.
- Be part of the team looking after content dissemination away from social including newsletters and push notifications
Be part of the team which manages the home page and maintains the site including monitoring site and social comments
- Use audience data, insights and analytics to help inform content decisions and planning
- Ensure all content meets editorial, ethical, legal and IPSO standards and brand values
The Ideal Candidate
Content editors are senior positions in the newsroom. These are roles for experienced journalists able to demonstrate strong content management skills and digital publishing knowledge as well as some experience of or potential for managing, leading and inspiring teams.
- A Reach plc or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience)
- Experience of content management
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop content teams
- Understanding of editorial strategy and brand values
- Strong storytelling skills
- Good digital publishing skills - or a willingness to learn
- An understanding of social media both in terms of finding content and sharing it
- An understanding of how to use analytics to inform content commissioning and production - or a willingness to learn
- First-class organisational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable, flexible, creative and full of flair
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under deadline pressure
- Good judgement
- Energy, drive, determination and self-motivation
- Flexible approach to shifts
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to take instruction as well as manage own workload efficiently
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc has a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include a holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
To apply, email a CV and cover letter to Emma Slee, Senior Editor Somerset, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To discuss the role further, email Emma to arrange a telephone conversation.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Wednesday 23rd January 2019.
Somerset Live Yeovil