|Posted: Thu 28 Sep 2017||Closing Date: Fri 27 Oct 2017|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
|Salary:||up to 28K|
Chief reporter, TTG Media Limited
Based in innovative new offices in Southwark, London
TTG Media Limited is a young, dynamic company formed in 2013 to take over a 60-year old power B2B media brand in the travel industry: TTG (Travel Trade Gazette).
Started as a four-page newspaper in 1953, TTG has evolved to become a three-pronged business moving confidently into 2016 on three platforms: print, digital and events, in the UK and via the TTG Worldwide network of international partners.
Still underpinned by a weekly print magazine, the business is also now powered by a fast-moving responsive website, ttgmedia.com, and a series of events including the new TTG Top 50 Travel Agencies, the TTG Travel Awards and the TTG on Tour nationwide series of travel agent roadshows. It also maintains a series of exclusive partnerships with partners ranging from World Travel Market to the Institute of Travel & Tourism that have become vital to the brand, offering new opportunities for growth.
The brand has a reputation not only as a much-loved, authoritative voice of the industry, but as an innovative organiser of exciting events in London and beyond. This year TTG was once again on the shortlist for two awards at the prestigious British Media Awards.
This role represents a fantastic challenge in one of the fastest-moving and most high profile B2B news sectors in the UK today, as part of a hugely committed and friendly team, at a genuinely exciting time for our trusted and engaging brand.
We are looking to recruit a chief reporter to help drive our news content in print and online, ensuring our news output is market-leading, engaging, accurate and fully in tune both with our travel industry audience, and the brand values and reputation of TTG.
Working closely with the news editor, the chief reporter position is pivotal to the success of TTG in print and online. This is not a role for the faint hearted – but it is a role that can bring immense satisfaction, working with a fantastic team and giving this individual a genuine opportunity not only to make their mark, but to sear their reputation onto the face of this most exciting of UK industries.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong sense of news awareness – experience on local, national or B2B newspaper/magazine is essential
- An appreciation of B2B media and how it differs from national media
- A meticulous eye for detail
- Ability to turn stories around quickly and efficiently for both print and online
- Experience and skills of working in digital channels, including use of content management systems
- Inter-personal skills
- An understanding of media law and how it relates to TTG Media
- A personable manner, with strong communication and organisational skills
- Team player, but one with a self-sufficient, self-motivated, proactive and organised attitude
- A broad understanding of the commercial aspects of B2B media, and a willingness to work closely with the commercial team when necessary.
What you will do:
- Working closely with the news editor, the chief reporter will help set the news strategy and agenda for ttgmedia.com and TTG magazine.
- Where appropriate they will help to manage the news output across the TTG Media team, monitoring the progress of their stories; offering help and advice where necessary; nurturing talent; coaching in the basic skills of journalism.
- Help ensure that the magazine is leading the industry news agenda and is not being scooped by the competition. This will demand significant news gathering and relationship building skills.
- Frequently, the chief reporter will deputise for the News Editor, taking responsibility for editing raw copy before it is passed to the production team. He or she will be a conscientious and careful copy editor with a ferocious eye for detail. He or she will be responsible for ensuring that copy is accurate; has correct grammar; follows house style; is properly structured; and is “sold” to the reader in the most appropriate way.
- On a daily basis, the chief reporter will conceive, write and edit clean, concise, reader-relevant news stories and analysis for ttgmedia.com and TTG magazine
- Take a lead in financial reporting and analysis of the travel industry
- Write for and contribute to other sections of the magazine and website when deemed appropriate (such as ttgluxury magazine and features)
- Proof pages
- Regularly cover 8am news shifts as part of a rota across the team
- Represent TTG Media at external functions/events and meetings and on possible overseas trips as and when deemed appropriate by the news editor. The candidate must be willing – especially in the early stages – to attend a considerable number of evening functions and overseas conferences (which sometimes take place over the weekend, for which lieu days are given) in order to build contacts
- Build relationships with key industry individuals and with readers
- Communicate with TTG’s readers via social media (Twitter and Facebook), uploading photo galleries etc and engaging in conversations
- Upload and format content taken from the weekly magazine to ttgmedia.com
Apply today sending a CV and covering letter to editor Sophie Griffiths at email@example.com and news editor Jennifer Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org, or for an informal chat about the role give Sophie a call on 020 3714 4114.
Applications will be accepted until October 28th, but please note that interviews will commence in the next week, so do apply as soon as possible rather than waiting.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 27th October 2017.
TTG Media United Kingdom