Chief Press Officer
Department for Transport
|Posted:||Fri 14 Jan 2022|
|Closing Date:||Thu 27 Jan 2022|
|Employer:||Department for Transport|
Media relations roles
PR & comms officers
|Employment Type:||Full time|
Apply before 11:55 pm on Thursday 27th January 2022
Are you looking for an exciting role in communications?
Do you have the creativity to turn our policies into compelling stories, the sense to deal with fast breaking news and the ability to win the confidence of Ministers and Special Advisers?
Would you like to join one of the busiest Whitehall departments responsible for delivering some of the government’s biggest projects?
If so, we are looking for a passionate, highly-organised and dynamic Chief Press Officer to join us at the Department for Transport (DfT), and we’d love to hear from you.
You will form part of the Press Office's senior management team, including taking part in the team’s out of hours back-up rota, and act as a press secretary to one of our junior ministerial team.
We want you to be ambitious and eager to succeed. In return, we promise you all the proactive announcements, Ministerial access and crisis management experience you will need to further your career.
From being on the frontline of the response to the Coronavirus pandemic, to the delivery of major government projects such as HS2, to paving the way for the adoption of the technology needed to help the UK meet its net zero targets - the Department for Transport is never far from the front pages.
Key accountabilities of the role include:
• Overseeing media handling of specialist desks in press office and ensuring Government policy is presented as effectively as possible;
• Seeking creative opportunities to publicise Government policy, reaching key audiences through a variety of media outlets, while utilising key channels for important policy updates;
• Helping improve and maintain relationships with national, specialist and regional transport and lobby correspondents;
• Helping improve and maintain co-ordination between press office and the rest of the communications directorate and other stakeholders;
• Ensuring the ministerial team gets a first class media service, including supporting ministers on visits and major announcements;
• Providing leadership through the press office senior management team and the senior duty back-up rota;
• Line management of up to 3 members of staff
The successful candidate will be required to take part in the team’s out of hours back-up rota.
To be successful in this role you will have outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to challenge and influence confidently.
You will be able to adapt your communication style to suit your audience and convey messages in a clear concise manner.
You will have excellent leadership skills to motivate and engage the team and seek creative solutions and opportunities.
For further information and for details on the assessment and selection process and to apply please visit:
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Thursday 27th January 2022.
Department for Transport United Kingdom