BBC Local Democracy Reporter
|Posted: Mon 10 Sep 2018||Closing Date: Fri 28 Sep 2018|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
Newsquest Scotland is seeking to recruit a Local Democracy Reporter based in Glasgow, initially on a two‐year fixed term contract, covering Glasgow City Council and Inverclyde Council.
Working as part of the team at the Evening Times, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to comprehensively report on local government at the coal face, providing up-to-the-minute coverage in print and online with content published in titles across the region.
Key responsibilities will involve:
- Delivering strong content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required
- Creating engaging content which drives audience through SEO and social media awareness
- Ensuring all content is politically‐neutral and balanced, providing a fair reflection of views
- Ensuring agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public’s attention
- Delivering live content, providing two‐way interviews for broadcast media
- Providing monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder Media organisations
- Ensuring that all matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the Local Democracy Reporter Scheme Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience‐friendly way
To be considered for this role, you will ideally be qualified to NCE‐standard or equivalent with two years experience working to daily deadlines alongside shorthand proficiency of 100wpm.
This criteria will go hand in hand with your ability to provide outstanding content in text, audio and video format. You will be able to demonstrate a deep understanding of the workings of local government and a track record of delivering great ideas for content and building contacts.
A solid working knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement is essential for this role. You will be an excellent communicator, enjoy working under pressure and thrive on the unique challenge this role offers.
Although based in the newsroom detailed above, you will be providing copy for all publishers signed up to the scheme.
Package Description/Important Information:
This role is a two year fixed term contract. As part of this, the successful candidate can look forward to a competitive salary, holiday entitlement, pension scheme plus other benefits available to you as a Newsquest Scotland employee.
Newsquest Scotland is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
Please send a copy of your CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 28th September 2018.
Newsquest Scotland United Kingdom