Journalists at five sister newspapers will vote on proposed industrial action after a redundancy plan was announced.
As reported by HTFP last week, Newsquest has told staff at The Herald and Herald on Sunday that it may be forced to make compulsory redundancies unless “a number” of journalists volunteer to leave.
John Toner, NUJ national organiser for Scotland, said: “Our members are very committed to providing Scotland with quality journalism, and our survey demonstrates that commitment, despite the severe reduction in staffing levels over many years.
“This latest blow has galvanised them, and they don’t believe it is possible to work harder than they do already, with fewer people than they already have.
“To add insult to injury, it was reported that Newsquest has made a substantial bid for JPIMedia’s portfolio of regional newspapers, while at the same time making cuts of up to £500k. This news was met with incredulity by the beleaguered staff.
“These papers and brands have been mainstays of Scottish journalism for more than a century, and staff are no longer willing to tolerate these constant and destructive cuts. As always, we remain willing to talk to Newsquest management.”
The NUJ says it had conducted a stress survey in the weeks before the company’s announcement, which revealed 83 per cent of respondents believed the quality of their title has declined over the last year, while 78pc said their workloads had increased in the last year.
More than half of respondents said they were pressured to produce work faster than they are comfortable with, and 9pc said they had confidence in the current management at the organisation.
The NUJ informed Newsquest yesterday of the ballot, which will begin on 27 November and end on 9 December.
HTFP has approached Newsquest for a comment.