Up to 70 jobs are set to be made redundant by a newspaper publisher – but the company says regional journalists will not be affected by the plans.
Reach plc has announced the cull in a bid to “remove duplication” at its national titles following its purchase of the Express and Star titles earlier this year.
A total of 70 full-time and part-time positions are at risk, and a consultation with staff affected by the proposed changes has begun.
But the company says no jobs at its regional titles under threat as a result of the plans, which will also see some editorial long-term casual roles will be converted into staff positions.
A bid to introduce more collaborative working between the Daily and Sunday Express and between the Daily Star and Daily Star Sunday editorial teams also forms part of the proposal.
A spokesman for Reach said: “Our [national] sports desks have been collaborating very effectively in recent weeks, which gives us confidence that our plans to share other content will work well. The crossover readership between the titles is very low.
“The aim is to retain as much resource as possible in areas such as politics, exclusive story-breaking, investigations and columnists, which differentiate each of our titles and give them their distinctive character.
“We will be making every effort to achieve as much of the required savings as we can through voluntary means.”