AddThis SmartLayers

Daily axes long-serving ex-editor’s column due to ‘austerity and cost-cuts’

Perry Austin-ClarkeA regional daily has ended its long-serving former editor’s weekly column due to what he has described as “austerity and cost-cuts”.

Perry Austin-Clarke, left, has written his final column for the Bradford Telegraph & Argus, which he edited from 1992 to 2017.

At the time of his departure from the editor’s chair, Perry was the longest-serving regional daily editor in the United Kingdom.

It was reported that he would continue to be associated with the T&A, writing for the newspaper and working on some “special projects”.

However, he has now bid farewell as a columnist in a final piece in which he discussed the topics of books and reading.

In the column, published yesterday, Perry wrote: “A column about books and reading, which inspired my journalism career choice more than 40 years ago, seems a good subject on which to say my farewells as a weekly columnist with the Telegraph & Argus.

“Yes, this is my final missive – not by choice but because austerity and cost-cuts also affect newspapers and, therefore, former long-standing editors. I’ve enjoyed writing for you and I’m grateful for all the (mainly positive) feedback and support.

“Given this week is all about books, I’d like to end by quoting the title of the fourth volume in Douglas Adams’s brilliant trilogy, the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which somehow seems appropriate.

“It’s based on the message left by the dolphins when they departed Earth just before it was demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass: ‘So long – and thanks for all the fish.'”

HTFP has approached the Telegraph & Argus for a comment.

7 comments

You can follow all replies to this entry through the comments feed.
  • August 22, 2018 at 9:35 am

Around five years ago I provided a weekly column to my local JP paper as a favour to the editor who was a friend of mine. We agreed I would do it for nothing initially to see if it worked. It proved popular but I waited more than two years before asking for a nominal £10 per column. It was then axed …

Like this comment(25)
  • August 22, 2018 at 9:55 am

Perry Austin-Clarke knows a lot about austerity and cost cuts.

Like this comment(21)
  • August 22, 2018 at 10:13 am

things must be even more desperate than we imagined in the scribbling world.

Like this comment(7)
  • August 22, 2018 at 10:24 am

How old is Perry? I don’t want to sound ageist but it gives context TO EVERY STORY!
    I bet he wasn’t providing it for £10 a go.
    He could always provide it for nothing of course… but perhaps the cost ecuse was a kindly way of just ditching it for something less highbrow.
    It sounds interesting but not a natural clickbait generator.
    D-list celebrities favourite books – now that could be a winner!

Like this comment(8)
  • August 22, 2018 at 10:38 am

Regional makes a good point. Why do we see so little reference to the ages of people in your stories? It was drilled into me as a reporter that this was one of the defining characteristics of a person, so always ask for someone’s age. It would certainly lend context to your daily stories of executives leaving their top jobs for ‘exciting’ new challenges.

Like this comment(15)
  • August 22, 2018 at 3:53 pm

On the subject of age – and I drink from a mug which says ’40-aged to perfection (though I am now older – I developed quite a good party trick of guessing people’s ages thanks to interviewing so many people and asking their ages. I could usually see it in their faces.

Like this comment(7)