As reported on HTFP earlier this week, Sunday Life journalist Christopher Woodhouse was confronted by a protester while covering an Orangemen’s parade in Belfast.
Members of the hardline Greater Ardoyne Residents Collective (GARC) protested against the parade and vented their anger at Christopher as well ast parish priest Fr Gary Donegan.
During the altercation, one man was recorded telling Christopher he was “coming after” him and saying he had “better watch” himself.
Video footpage of the incident was later passed to the police who have now confirmed they have arrested a man on suspicion of threats to kill.
District Commander Chief Superintendent Chris Noble said: “Police investigating a report of threatening behaviour against an individual on the morning of Saturday, October 1 at Ardoyne, north Belfast have arrested a 32 year-old man.
“He was arrested in the Belfast area on Tuesday afternoon on suspicion of threats to kill and common assault.
“He was interviewed and has been released pending a report to the Public Prosecution Service. Enquiries into the matter are currently ongoing.”
The National Union of Journalists has condemned the incident which it described as an attempt to undermine journalists in Northern Ireland.
Irish general secretary Seamus Dooley said: “It is unacceptable that journalists should face threats or intimidation from any quarter simply for doing their job. Sunday Life journalists will not be deterred from doing their work by these tactics.”