Alan Pardew, pictured left, who quit United last week to take over at London side Crystal Palace, described the bans imposed on journalists from the Newcastle Chronicle and its sister titles The Journal and The Sunday Sun as “difficult”.
Reporters from the titles were barred from attending press conferences and matches at the club’s St James’ Park home ground between October 2013 and last month, when the restrictions were lifted.
The newspapers, published by Trinity Mirror’s North East division ncjmedia, were excluded after the club objected to their coverage of a protest by supporters against owner Mike Ashley.
In April the Chronicle published a front page headlined ‘P45DUE’ calling for Pardew to be axed, and he had also claimed the newspapers had “a bit of an agenda towards the club”.
After the restrictions were lifted Trinity Mirror North East editor-in-chief Daren Thwaites told HTFP the club would respect the titles’ coverage would remain independent and critical if appropriate.
Speaking to BBC Radio Newcastle after his departure, Pardew said: “I think the local press being banned was difficult for me.
“I do think that was a problem to manage the football club – I made that point clear many, many times to the guys above me.
“In the end, (club managing director) Lee Charnley has addressed that.”
Newcastle United have yet to replace Pardew, and in the same interview he called on the local press to support whoever takes up the reins.
He added: “I hope the next manager that the local press look at the glass half full rather than half empty which I think happened with me a lot of the time and there is a better relationship between the club and the press and the fans.”