Steve Madeley, pictured left, has left his role as West Bromwich Albion reporter at the Express & Star after 18 years with the paper.
He has now taken up a new role as Midlands football reporter with the Wardle Whittell Agency, a sports editorial freelance agency based in Newcastle with outlets all over the country.
The agency employs 10 dedicated football reporters across the country – a larger specialist football reporting staff than any newspaper apart from The Sun – and provides tailored content to newspapers and websites.
One of Steve’s last big stories with the Express & Star was to correctly reveal that star striker Saido Berahino would not be leaving WBA during the transfer window.
Other recent job moves within the regional press include the following:
- Tom Cotterill has moved from the role of chief reporter at the Littlehampton Gazette to become the new defence correspondent at the Portsmouth News.
- BPM Media, publisher of the Birmingham Mail, has promoted Fionnuala Bourke as commercial editor working across the Mail, Birmingham Post and Sunday Mercury. Fionnuala has worked for the company for 16 years in various roles, including reporter, lifestyle editor, news editor and, most recently, content editor.
- The Hackney Citizen has appointed Ellie Broughton to the role of features editor. She previously held this role at Pulse magazine.
- Rebecca Creed has moved from the Colchester Gazette and Essex County Standard to become chief reporter on Newsquest’s mid Essex titles. Rebecca will now work across the Braintree and Witham Times, the Maldon and Burnham Standard and the Halstead Gazette.
- Daniel O’Mahony has been appointed reporter for Sutton Guardian and Croydon Guardian
- Jon Sharman has left the Surrey Comet & Kingston Guardian to join the Croydon Guardian and Sutton Guardian as content editor.
- The Gloucester Citizen’s public affairs reporter Hayley Mortimer has left the paper to join Moose Marketing & PR.
- Pippa Allen-Kinross and Ben Weich have both been appointed reporters at Epsom Guardian
- Jane Kirby, health editor at the Press Association, has now returned from maternity leave. Meanwhile, Neil Lancefield has been appointed transport correspondent at the agency.
- The Lancashire Evening Post has appointed Mark White as news and sports reporter.
On the move yourself? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.