A weekly newspaper is on the move after 114 years after its offices were sold by publisher Johnston Press.
But the Berwick Advertiser will not be going far – its new premises are in a building behind its existing Marygate HQ.
JP has agreed a long-term lease of four office suites at Berwick Workspace, which is built on the site of the paper’s former printworks a stone’s throw away from the current building.
Together with sister title the Berwickshire News, the Advertiser is set to move to the new offices by the end of the summer.
Editor Phil Johnson said: “After more than a century at our present location, it will be a sad day when we move out of 90 Marygate
“There is a lot of history here. But the building is no longer fit for purpose.
“Moving next door to new, modern offices will give us a faster broadband network, which is a crucial aspect of our work these days.
“The new offices are also a more appropriate size. Most importantly, being located next door to where we are now means we will continue to be based in the town centre.”
The Advertiser originally moved to the Marygate buiding in 1900. It was purpose-built on the site of the town’s Black Bull Hotel, which had previously stood there for generations before being pulled down.
It later became the headquarters of the Tweeddale Press Group which at one point included both Berwick titles and the Southern Reporter. The group was bought by JP in 2000.
Opened in 2008 on the site of the former Tweeddale Press print works, Berwick Workspace was originally developed as an incubator for start-up businesses and was part funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
The centre, which has 35 individual office spaces, is owned and managed by Arch, Northumberland County Council’s arms-length development company.