Journalists at Newsquest-owned titles in London and Sussex have joined colleagues from the North West in voting to take strike action.
On Monday the National Union of Journalists announced that its Warrington and Blackburn chapels had voted for strike action in the ongoing dispute over the transfer of work to the company’s South Wales production hub.
Now NUJ members at Newsquest Sussex, which includes Brighton daily The Argus, have voted by 63.6pc to 36.4pc to take action over similar plans to switch production to a subbing hub in Weymouth.
Three journalists’ jobs are said to be at risk as a result of the proposed closure of the paper, which has a free distribution of 22,853.
According to the NUJ, staff at the Guardian titles have only had one pay increase in the past six years.
Newsquest confirmed last month that six subbing posts are to be lost as a result of the plan to switch production of The Argus to Weymouth.
The jobs in question are based in Southampton where the Brighton paper is currently produced.
Laura Davison, national organiser, said: “NUJ members in South London and Brighton are committed to producing quality local journalism. They can’t stand by while Newsquest cuts costs, closes offices and titles, holds down pay, piles up the work and makes experienced journalists redundant with little compensation.
“These results show members will take a stand to highlight the damage being done to their local titles. People who want their communities to have strong vibrant news content which holds power to account should back these NUJ members in any action they decide to take and ask Newsquest to stop, listen and act on their legitimate concerns.”
No-one from Newsquest has so far been available for comment. Earlier today the company described the votes in Warrington and Blackburn as “extremely disappointing” and insisted the journalistic quality of its products was “of paramount importance.”