A press photographer was challenged by police who threatened to confiscate pictures taken at a crime scene.
Veteran freelancer Eric Foster had been covering the alleged assault of a man in Brayton, Selby, for The Press in York and he took several photographs of police officers and vehicles which attended the scene.
Prior to leaving the area of the alleged assault, he was warned by a male police officer that he could have his pictures confiscated.
“He said there’s a clause in the Terrorism Act and I could take your pictures off you, and asked for my name and date of birth. I gave him my name. It’s just ridiculous,” said Eric.
Police had arrived at the scene around 10.30pm on Tuesday evening and officers stayed there throughout Wednesday to allow further investigation.
Editor of The Press Steve Hughes said: “We hope this is an isolated case of an officer not being properly informed.
“Clearly it’s not acceptable for the police to try to stop journalists in carrying out their work.”
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: “The media are fully entitled to take photographs near crime scenes as long as police cordons are respected and potential evidence is not interfered with.”