A former training adviser who worked at Northcliffe Media for 35 years has died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 59.
Graham Beesley, left, started out with the regional publisher at the Scunthorpe Telegraph, where he was responsible for circulation, before he became a training manager.
Based at Grimsby, he was responsible for management and leadership training at Northcliffe centres across the country, making him known to many of the company’s senior journalists.
Graham died at his North Cotes home on 26 September and a post mortem revealed he died after inhaling a high level of carbon monoxide from a faulty wood burner.
In his role at the regional publisher, Graham was mainly focussed on the Northcliffe Leadership Programme, which provided management training, and the provision of E-learning.
He took early retirement two years ago to become a ski instructor and mountaineer and was just weeks away from his 60th birthday when he died.
“He was always helpful and always keen to take an interest in every side of the business.
“When I spoke to him just a couple of months ago, he was enjoying his early retirement and looking forward to life in the future. This is so sad and our thoughts are with his family and close friends.”
Former Telegraph colleague Rob Sunley, a fellow mountaineer, said: “Graham spent the past ten years preparing for his new life as an instructor and mountain guide.
“He was very well-known in skiing and climbing circles. He loved the Alps. I have such huge respect for him as he was a born leader. He was an amazing guy.
“It is such a tragedy and so tragic he has gone so soon after our other climbing friend from the Telegraph, David Neal, also passed away.
“Graham took young people out on expeditions. He had so much to give. You always knew when you went out walking with him you were going to be safe. He always put safety first.”
Graham leaves his mother Joan, cousin Steve and other relatives.