Journalists at Sheffield daily The Star have called off a planned 48-hour strike which was due to begin tomorrow.
Nearly 60 members of the National Union of Journalists were due to walk out on Wednesday and Thursday over plans to axe up to 10 jobs at a centralised subbing hub.
But the Sheffield chapel has now suspended its industrial action after a new deal was negotiated with management at the Johnston Press title to resolve the dispute, which guarantees no compulsory redundancies will be made.
Chris Morley, the NUJ’s Northern and Midlands organiser, said four people working at the Sheffield subbing unit had accepted voluntary redundancy and others had accepted jobs elsewhere.
He said freelances who had been working at the company’s titles for up to two years without a permanent contract would now be offered these, which the union had been fighting for.
Mr Morley said: “The settlement meets the NUJ’s demands and represents a significant victory for our members. We have secured a guarantee of jobs for all staff. Just as important, freelances will have the opportunity of permanent contracts.
“NUJ members in our Sheffield Newspapers chapel have demonstrated the value of standing together to demand fair treatment for journalists. Now it is up to the company to honour the agreement as a basis for moving forward.”
Meanwhile in Bolton, 21 NUJ members took part in the ballot, with 76pc of them voting to go on strike.
Mr Morley said they had been offered a 2pc pay rise but members wanted proper negotiation with management and had submitted a claim for a 5pc rise or £1,000, whichever was greater.
He added: “Our members are giving Newsquest management a clear and consistent message. They are not prepared to tolerate management’s cavalier and uncaring treatment of hardworking and skilled professionals.”
Johnston Press declined to comment further on the situation in Sheffield but previously said it had tried to minimise the impact of the restructure through offering voluntary redundancy or redeployment to other positions.
Newsquest chief executive Paul Davidson was not available for comment at the time of publication.