Journalists in the North West cancelled a second day of strike action that was due to take place today after the company informed staff it was ‘pushing ahead’ with redundancies.
National Union of Journalists members who work for Newquest North-West titles voted for industrial action after the company announced the job losses at the titles earlier this month.
The proposals will see seven job lost across the 12 newspapers in the group, a move that the company has blamed on the economic downturn and one that it says will protect the long term interests of the newspapers.
Last Wednesday around 40 journalists took to the picket line over the cuts and a second day of action was planned for today in the hope that management would agree to high level talks.
A chapel spokesman said: “The redundancies went ahead on Friday. We called off today’s strike action because of appeals that are going on. We have warned them there might be another if our requests aren’t met.”
The spokesman said the union held talks with management on Thursday. They were then informed that the company were pushing ahead with the redundancies.
Two of the seven jobs that are set to go are on a voluntary basis and one reporter got a job at another newspaper.
It is believed that the other four other people have been told they will face compulsory redundancy and will now be expected to work their notice period.
Nicola Priest, group editor for the titles did, not wish to comment on the redundancies but has previously said it was disappointing that the chapel has decided to go on strike before the end of the consultation period and when ‘meaningful dialogue’ had been on-going.
Union members have said say they fear for the future because of increased workloads that the cuts will create.