It’s been an explosive week for one Scottish title after its video of a failed fireworks display became a worldwide YouTube sensation.
The Oban Times landed an unexpected scoop after deciding to film the town’s community fireworks display last Friday.
Due to a technical hitch, all the fireworks went off at once and a display which was supposed to last 20 minutes was over in just 50 seconds.
The fireworks fiasco was captured in its entirety by web coordinator Marian Miller and has now been picked up by news networks around the world
Oban Times deputy editor Stuart Laundy said: “What started out as something of a ‘bad news’ story has turned out to be anything but, thanks mainly to our video of the short – but spectacular – fireworks display and the power of social media to spread the word.
“Rather than complaining about what happened, many of the hundreds of comments posted suggest that the impact of the fireworks all going off at once made much more of an impact than had the show gone on as planned.
“Whatever the case, this is one fireworks display which will live long in the memory of the thousands who turned out to see it.”
Since the newspaper’s video went online it has featured on the likes of Fox News, Good Morning America, ABC Eyewitness News, NBC’s Today programme and Australia’s Nine News.
It has so far had more than 680,000 views, making it the ninth most watched YouTube video this week.
The fireworks company responsible, Pyro1, have apologised for the error but say they have been ‘flabbergasted’ by the scale of the response.
In honour of the recent Oban spectacle, they are said to be developing a new display called the ‘Obang’.