Journalists at a regional daily could vote go on strike after five redundancies were announced.
It was announced last month that four positions in Newsquest’s newly-formed subbing hub, which is based at the Southampton centre, were at risk, along with a management role on the Daily Echo’s sports desk.
A spokesperson for the NUJ chapel said that this week the company announced the journalists who will be made redundant under the move, one of which is voluntary but the rest compulsory.
Those losing their jobs include Simon Straker, the paper’s deputy sports editor, although some of those affected are understood to be appealing against their redundancies.
The ballot for action closes on Monday and a chapel meeting is due to be held later next week to discuss the results of it.
Newsquest announced plans to set up the subbing hub at the Daily Echo last October, resulting in five job losses at Brighton-based sister title The Argus whose production operation was switched to the new unit.
When the latest job losses were announced, editor-in-chief Ian Murray said the redundancies were being proposed due to ‘the need to seek greater efficiencies’ because of continued trading conditions.
He has now confirmed that four redundancies have been made from the subbing unit and one from the sports management team.