A number of journalists at Northcliffe owned newspaper the Exeter Express and Echo have been made redundant following an announcement earlier this month that the title is to go from a daily to a weekly publication.
The number of jobs to be lost is not known at this stage but it is believed that some staff were told by management yesterday that they would face compulsory redundancy.
The Express and Echo currently has around 12 reporters, in addition to production, sports and features staff.
Northcliffe would not comment at this stage as the consultation is on-going.
The staff cuts come following an on-going portfolio shake-up by the company in a change that will see the 106-year-old title switch to a weekly next month. The Devon title will produce a 200-page weekly edition which will hit the streets every Thursday.
When the announcement was made earlier this month editor Marc Astley said that Exeter is a much different city from the one that first embraced the newspaper in 1904. He said readers now led ever-busier lifestyles and many simply did not have time to buy the paper every day.
It is expected the final daily edition of the Express and Echo will appear on Friday 2 September. The first weekly newspaper will be in the shops on Thursday 8 September, and will remain on sale throughout the week.