AddThis SmartLayers

Boost for weekly after council newspaper axed

A weekly title which launched a campaign against its local council’s newspaper last year has now signed a partnership deal with the authority after the publication was axed.

The Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle has agreed a six-year deal with Hammersmith and Fulham Council to publish public notices and other adverts in the paper.

It comes after the authority published the final edition of its fortnightly H&F News yesterday, which followed the backing of government plans last week to bring in a four-a-year limit on council publications.

In March last year, the Chronicle launched its ‘Proper Papers Not Propaganda’ campaign against the council’s publication, saying it was designed to look like a independent newspaper but was written by spin doctors.

Simon Edgley, managing director of Trinity Mirror Southern, said: “We are not only absolutely delighted to sign this agreement, but also that our titles and websites will play such a significant part in ensuring that residents of Hammersmith and Fulham remain appropriately informed.”

As part of the agreement, extra pagination will be provided by the newspaper to ensure the council can promote its consultations, events and other information – with the authority saying it negotiated the ‘best possible value’ under the deal.

Council leader Stephen Greenhalgh said: “We have been incredibly proud to have published H&F News but this agreement is a positive step forward for the borough’s residents as we have secured an effective way of communicating our news, while delivering real value for money.

“As a result we will continue to have one of the lowest communication costs of any London borough.

“Additionally, this illustrates our commitment to supporting a vibrant independently produced newspaper in the borough.”

H&F News was launched as a monthly paper in 2006, going fortnightly in 2008, and has published nearly 100 editions.

Earlier this year, North Yorkshire County Council axed its monthly NY Times in favour of a six-month trial with Newsquest and Johnston Press to publish information in their titles which was previously in the authority’s publication.

2 comments

You can follow all replies to this entry through the comments feed.
  • April 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm
    Permalink

    Good to stop the council run paper, but Trinity Mirror South own one of the local papers and tney have not recruited more staff to cover local stories. Nor has Newsquest owners of the Shepherds Bush Gazette. We are dealing with big publishing groups. Let’s get really local and journos start their own local papers.I do a local what the papers say on LBC every Sat morning.I started on a weekly before going on TV etc.Lets get back to real reporting with real staff.

    Report this comment

    Like this comment(0)
  • April 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm
    Permalink

    I agree with Michael – who also the best QPR-supporting journo in west London. Anyhow the council will just send in press releases to the Chronicle which will be printed and repurposed onto the net without change or comment.

    Report this comment

    Like this comment(0)