AddThis SmartLayers

Newly-wed former local press journalist found dead

A former local press journalist who went on to write for several national newspapers has died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Katie Haines, left, was discovered by her husband Richard at their home in Wokingham on Thursday evening.

His parents were also taken to hospital with suspected gas poisoning and have since been released while other homes in the area were evacuated.

The 31-year-old and Richard married in December and returned from their honeymoon in South America just a few weeks ago.

Formerly Katie Samuel, she trained as a journalist at Lambeth College, in London, before working as a freelancer for the Enfield Gazette and later as a trainee reporter with the Watford Observer for just over a year and a half.

Observer group editor Peter Wilson-Leary said: “Katie was one of the best trainee reporters to have worked at the Watford Observer.

“Those who worked with her are deeply saddened by news of her death.”

Following her time with the Observer she contributed stories to The Sun, Daily Express and Woman’s Own before taking a job as press officer with the University of Oxford.

Head of press and information Ruth Collier said: “I and my press office colleagues loved working with her, as did everyone around the university she came into contact with.

“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with Katie’s husband, parents and siblings.”


Lynn Griffiths (09/03/2010 12:00:09)
“Our thoughts are with Katie’s family”
My children and I were poisoned by Carbon Monoxide (CO) for over a decade. I had never heard of carbon monoxide before then. In July 2005 I set up CO-(Carbon Monoxide) Awareness. We became a registered charity in Sepember 2008. CO-Awareness is run completely by unpaid volunteers, who want to make a difference. We can send you copies of our easy to understand information leaflet upon request. This can also be download from our website or by calling me directly on 07715899296. If you need any advice please don’t hesitate to contact us. If you know anyone who has been effected by CO please pass on our details. We are only a phone call or email away.
Please add our national CO-Awareness week to your diary: Monday 15th November 2010. maybe you could help us by raising awareness in your area. Let’s all work together to prevent suffering from this silent killer.
Lynn Griffiths. CO-Awareness President and Founder of the CO-Awareness week CO-Awareness Office. Aintree Community Fire Station, Longmoor Lane, Aintree, Liverpool. L9 0EN Registered Charity No. 1125755 NEW website under construction: Mob: 07715899296