Would the last one out please turn off the lights?
The Glasgow Herald has made its move and staff are now happily tapping the keyboards in brand new offices.
But they didn’t leave without raising a glass to a few old friends – remembering the good times, and not so good, at their old Albion Street headquarters.
They only moved in 20 years ago but time has flown by for staff, and in the best traditions of good newspaper folk, they’ve packed an awful lot in!
Their previous home in the Charles Rennie Mackintosh building in Mitchell Street was inhabited for 111 years – but that’s another story.
Their new base shines like a beacon across the city – but will “200 Renfield Street” evoke the atmosphere and emotion of their old home?
Here, writers Allan Laing and Robert Jeffrey look to the past – and the future – in two articles first published in the Herald to mark the end of an era.
Established in 1783, The Herald has served the people of Scotland for more than 200 years and lays claim to being the oldest English language daily newspaper in the world.
Send us your memories of journalism before the days of laptops and e-mail. Write to HoldTheFrontPage, Meadow Road, Derby, DE1 2DW, or e-mail us now
Back to the Bygones index