Members had been due to begin their second protest over pay on Wednesday.
But they decided to call off the strike as a “gesture of goodwill” after the Rotherham Advertiser said it was open to talks – but only if the members resumed normal working.
Yesterday morning the two sides met for what have been described as “constructive” talks, but so far no agreement has been reached.
NUJ regional organiser Miles Barter said that the union was hoping to arrange another meeting next week and he is hopeful that both sides can reach agreement.
Members had earlier held a six-day strike in protest of the company’s offer of a 2.3 per cent pay offer, from Saturday August 24 to Thursday August 29, and have been calling for a ten per cent increase.
When the second strike was announced editor Doug Melloy said that offer of a 2.3 per cent rise was final and that the paper would continue be published as normal.
He has also said that journalists at the Rotherham Advertiser are among the best paid weekly journalists in the country.
There are 15 journalists at the paper, of whom 13 are NUJ members.
The Advertiser is run by Garnett-Dickinson, which also owns a contract print works.
Do you have a story about the regional press? Ring 0116 227 3122/3121, or