AddThis SmartLayers

Bolton walkout continues as talks fail to find resolution

National Union of Journalists members at Newsquest’s Bolton and Bury titles have entered a third week of strike action after talks with company management failed to find a resolution.

Members at the Bolton Evening News, Bolton Journal, Bury Times, Bury Journal, Leigh Journal and Prestwich & Whitefield Guide began their current walkout on April 22, following two earlier two-day stoppages in April, and say they plan to strike “until further notice”.

Despite fresh talks with management this week members have chosen to continue with their protest over pay, although they say the situation is continually being reviewed.

Bolton Bury NUJ FoC David Thomson said: “We decided that going on strike indefinitely was more effective than taking action for just two days a week.

“Since the strike began, the resolve of the chapel has strengthened and has increased in pace and momentum virtually every single day. We hope this sends out a clear and unequivocal message to management that we will only return to work should something tangible be on the table.”

Meanwhile NUJ members at Newsquest in Bradford are back at work and say no further walkouts are planned in the next few weeks to make way for talks between the two sides.

Members at the Telegraph & Argus, Keighley News, Ilkley Gazette, Craven Herald and Wharfedale Observer have staged 31 days of strike action so far this year, most recently on May 1 and 2.

The NUJ’s general secretary Jeremy Dear and his deputy John Fray met with Newsquest Bradford’s managing director David Coates on Tuesday and members are hoping progress can now be made.

However NUJ regional organiser Miles Barter has said that members may embark on an indefinite strike at the end of the month if their pay dispute is not resolved.

Do you have a story about the regional press? Ring 0116 227 3122/3121, or
e-mail pastill@nep.co.uk