What's On Writer
|Posted: Tue 18 Apr 2017||Closing Date: Tue 2 May 2017|
Trainee & junior reporters
|Employment Type:||Full time|
The Cambridge News is looking for a What's On Writer to join our vibrant newsroom.
Reporting to the Executive Editor (Digital), you will be responsible for generating creative, compelling what’s on content to engage and drive audiences across our digital platforms, through the creation of search-responsive entertainment information, articles, multimedia and other content.
- To generate planned and reactive content around specific entertainment events, people and venues, which increases digital audience from search, or will drive audience engagement
- To deliver a range of content and multimedia around specific events, people and venues suitable for publishing on websites, mobile sites and apps
- To work with members of the what’s on team and wider newsroom to maximise digital content
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide daily content to support entertainment sections on our digital platforms
- Provide coverage of a broad scope of what’s on content including: gig reviews, live blogs, food reviews, days out information and event coverage, to agreed workflows
- Ensure that a strong community is built up around entertainment content by interacting with readers, both on the websites and through social media
- Contribute to forward planning for set-piece events, eg music festivals
- Ensure best practice in advance content creation from across the group is implemented in the newsroom, working with counterparts in other regions to share ideas
- Source third party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures, where appropriate to add value to 30-day Google plans
- Schedule content to fit around what's on traffic peaks, including evenings and weekends
- Assist with development of landing pages for key topics and tags
- Promote your content through an effective social media presence
- Source third party content, including blogs, video, audio and pictures, where appropriate to add value to entertainment content
- Assist with development of landing pages for key topics for events, venues or people
- Assist in general uploading, digital content creation and website management in line with established workflows or SLAs across brands as required
- Ensure content is written with strong search engine optimisation in mind
- Undertake company/editorial projects and any other duties from time to time as reasonably requested by management
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Trinity Mirror’s editorial and company policies and ensuring these standards are upheld across the newsroom
- Possess a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and PCC Code
The Ideal Candidate
- Intimate and detailed knowledge of the [geographic area] entertainments scene
- A passion for the what’s on and entertainment field of journalism
- Good writing skills and experience of writing for a digital audience
- Enthusiasm for digital storytelling and audience engagement
- Up-to-date media law knowledge
- Strong track record and deep understanding in the use of SEO techniques
- Good understanding of how content is shared and promoted through social media
- Experience of using search analytics to identify digital audience and content trends
- Awareness and understanding of how people use the internet to find what’s on information
- Interest in and knowledge of the local entertainment scene
- Full driving licence
About the Company
Trinity Mirror plc has a strong benefits package, which includes, for this role, a competitive base salary depending on experience, 33 days holidays including bank holidays, a competitive pension along with an extensive flexible benefits portfolio. You will work a 75-hour fortnight, Monday-Friday. Will include some weekend work when required.
We will be considering applicants as they apply, so please don’t delay in submitting your application.
Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
To apply send your CV and covering letter to Cally Jenkins at email@example.com and David Bartlett at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Tuesday 2nd May 2017.