News Editor / Senior Reporter
My Local News
Based: Apsley, Herts
|Posted: Fri 28 Jul 2017||Closing Date: Fri 25 Aug 2017|
|Employer:||My Local News|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
|Salary:||Competitive salary offered|
• JOB TITLE: NEWS EDITOR / SENIOR REPORTER
• RESPONSIBLE TO: PUBLISHER & CREATIVE DIRECTOR
• To manage a team of journalists by distributing workload and giving guidance as to what stories need to be written and how best to approach them.
• To ensure each magazine has strong relevant news stories specific for each area.
• To maintain, review and update news lists on a regular basis to ensure the magazines are of the highest standard.
• To organise news stories into a relevant order and to design the pages on in-design.
• To organise reporters so a proofing schedule is in place and run efficiently so errors are kept to a minimum.
• To constantly evaluate the performance of reporters and give guidance as to how to improve.
• To contribute/manage in the weekly editorial meetings.
• To work closely with other departments including design, to ensure the smooth production of the magazines.
• To work with sales when dealing with a client and ensuring any planned advertorials are written and included in the magazines.
• To ensure all magazines meet strict deadlines.
• To write stories for your own magazines, features and advertorials where needed.
• To liaise with the Publisher & Creative Director on a regular basis to ensure the magazines are of the expected standard and that production is being run as efficiently as possible.
• Conducting interviews for stories and advertorials both in person and over the phone.
• Adhering to house style and adapting for advertorials.
• Assigning stories to the other reporters for their magazines and keeping up to date with any ideas or contributions they wish to make.
• Ensuring the magazines have a balance of editorial coverage (news, crime, features).
• Coming up with front cover ideas (headlines and pictures) for all magazines.
• Talking through the news list with the reporters and keeping them up to date with any changes to the list.
• Liaising with reporters about their potential leads stories and ensuring they have considered a suitable option for any designed single or double page spreads.
• Informing the design team of my ideas/visions for the layout and design of particular stories.
• Writing catchy headlines and picture captions.
• Liaising with the reporters to keep track of what stories we are working on to avoid duplication and ensure a variety of editorial content.
• Sourcing images to run alongside editorial and advising reporters on image ideas.
• Ensuring the originality of all photographs (copyright issues).
• Keeping on top of the local and national news to ensure topical coverage and to find an angle to current national stories that would be unique for our publication.
• Maintaining strong relationships with the local dignitaries and residents of each community.
• Attending council meetings and events in your own magazine areas.
• NCTJ Qualified
• Appropriate experience
• Good organisational and leadership skills
• A passion for writing and publishing
• Good news judgement
• Able to work to strict deadlines
• Strong work ethic as deadlines are tight
• Able to work as part of a team
• Good communication skills essential
• Reactive to hard and immediate news and proactive in difficult situations
• Good time management
• Good command of English grammar, spelling and comprehension
• Must be able to multi task and work under pressure
• Flexible with time, to ensure deadlines are met and to respond to the situation in the office
To apply please send your CV to Nik Allen at email@example.com
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Friday 25th August 2017.
My Local News London Road, Hemel Hempstead,HP3 United Kingdom