Based: Bletchley, Milton Keynes
|Posted: Wed 28 Jun 2017||Closing Date: Wed 26 Jul 2017|
|Employment Type:||Full time|
|Sector:||Specialist Press, Websites|
Location: Bletchley, Milton Keynes
Benefits: Competitive, including Pension, Private Healthcare and Life Assurance.
Job Type: Permanent.
The world’s leading independent Olympic news website www.insidethegames.biz is seeking an additional desk editor to help oversee operation of its busy news desk, producing copy seven days a week. The role would suit someone with at least two years’ experience in journalism. Note, this is an office-based role and the successful candidate will be expected to base themselves in our Bletchley headquarters. We are client and news based and publish 365 days of the year, therefore, evenings, weekend work and flexibility are part of our schedule.
Skills and experience required
- You must have a good news sense, be organised and have an impeccable eye for detail.
- Your passion should be accuracy and grammar, able to understand and conform quickly to house style.
- Ability to work effectively and enthusiastically as part of a small team working on several projects simultaneously.
- Effective time management skills to juggle multiple and frequent deadlines.
- Adaptability; the confidence to take responsibility and to instil more efficient, effective working systems.
- You will be expected to work on digital and print editions.
- Understand and be used to using Facebook and Twitter to promote editorial copy.
- You must be prepared to perform flexible working-hours and regular weekend work will be required.
- Have an interest in the politics of sport, not solely an interest in reporting sport.
- Be able to think globally.
- Be an anchor to our roving editorial team – at times you may be the only person in the team in the UK.
- Be able to communicate effectively with the owners and managers as well as people starting their career.
- Be able to communicate face-to-face, via phone, via email and via digital means such as Skype messaging and What’s App.
- Self-starters preferred.
- Work in a team as one of two Desk Editors to ensure all duties are completed, all publications are published on time and the news desk runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Sub-edit all articles that need to go live on the website and be published in our print magazines.
- Source the most appropriate images for articles.
- Make copy live.
- Social network all articles.
- Work on producing the printed publications from flat plan to distribution.
- Create the Daily and Weekly and Client-specific e-alerts on a regular basis.
- Manage, train, encourage and develop the editorial team.
- Organise the editorial team and the freelancers, including managing the rota.
- The No.1 Olympic news website in the world.
- The world’s most influential independent Olympic and Commonwealth Games news website, read by sport’s most powerful and best-known powerbrokers, setting the agenda in the multi-billion-dollar Olympic marketplace every day.
- We report on the business, politics and bid process behind the global Olympic Movement.
- A global readership. 42% Americas, 39% Europe, 10% Asia, 5% Oceania, 4% Africa.
- Monthly page impressions over 9.8 million, monthly visits over 1.1 million, monthly unique visitors over 500,000.
- We currently rank 48,088 out of all websites in the world in the Alexa world rankings. (Google.com = 1)
Dunsar Media Company Limited
A publisher with original and ground-breaking journalism at its very heart.
Winner - Online Journalist of the Year – Duncan Mackay - British Sports Journalist Awards 2009.
Winner - Most Promising New Business – Bucks Chamber of Commerce Awards 2010.
Shortlisted – Best Print Publication of 2012 – British Media Awards 2013.
Winner – Best Freelance Writer – David Owen - Online Media Awards 2015.
Commendation - Best Commercial Innovation – Online Media Awards 2015.
Shortlisted - Best Brand Development – Online Media Awards 2015.
Nominated - Best Column – David Owen - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
Shortlisted - Journalistic Weblog – Nick Butler - Sport Media Pearl Awards 2015.
Winner – Sambo Journalist of the Year 2015 - Daniel Etchells – FIAS Awards 2016.
Winner – Best in Sports Media – Sports Business Awards 2017
Our young team is dedicated and hardworking, prepared to stretch themselves to produce the best and most relevant news for our readers on this industry-leading website. With your help, they could be even better.
How to apply
Please send a current CV AND a separate covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, explaining why you are the right fit for this role, and what you could offer a website like www.insidethegames.biz and an exciting young publishing house like Dunsar Media.
All applications should be submitted by Wednesday 26th July 2017.
Interviews w/c 14th August 2017.
2nd interviews w/c 21st August 2017.
Immediate start for the right person.
Only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Please note, whilst we welcome applications from all nationalities, due to the nature of our editorial copy, the successful applicant will require an excellent command of both written and spoken English.
This role is office-based and our office is in Bletchley, Milton Keynes. It is not possible to commute from London for this role.
Please mention HoldtheFrontPage when applying for this role. This advert will expire on Wednesday 26th July 2017.
insidethegames.biz United Kingdom