A regional daily has launched a bid to get 5,000 fans to attend its local football club’s first home game of the season.
Newport play in League Two, English football’s fourth division, and have so far failed to win any of the three away fixtures they have played.
In the run up to Saturday, the Argus has joined forces with the club to run competitions which will allow readers to win tickets to the match at the Rodney Parade stadium, pictured below.
Editor Nicole Garnon said: “We are delighted to get behind Newport County AFC. Things are really looking up for the club and there is a buzz around the players and around Rodney Parade.
“There is some great work going on and we are happy to help promote that.”
Newport County AFC chief executive Alex Tunbridge said: “We are pleased to be working in partnership with the South Wales Argus who provide daily coverage of the club, to promote the club’s first home match of the 2017/18 season at Rodney Parade.”
He added: “The success of the club and the involvement and interaction of the community on a daily basis is of great value to not only both parties but the city.”
Last year the Argus successfully lobbied Newport City Council to set up a football fanzone and giant screen at Rodney Parade for supporters during the Welsh national team’s run to the semi-finals of the European Championship.