A Media Wales reporter scored a hat-trick of wins last night as the revamped Welsh Media Awards were handed out in Cardiff.
After several years absence, the awards returned under the aegis of the Journalists’ Charity with a glittering event at the city’s Marriott Hotel hosted by BBC newsreader Huw Edwards.
He won the Journalist of the Year award alongside prizes for best print news reporter and Young Journalist of the Year.
In the newspaper categories, the Western Mail was named Daily Newspaper of the Year while the Cambrian News was named best weekly.
The award for the Outstanding Contribution to journalism went to Derek Bellis, from north Wales, who has covered stories in Wales for seven decades.
The full list of award winners was:
- TV News Reporter of the Year – Aled Huw, Newyddion 9, BBC Cymru ar gyfer S4C
- Radio News Reporter of the Year – Alun Thomas, BBC Radio Cymru
- Online News Reporter of the Year – Sally Williams, Media Wales
- Political Reporter of the Year – Martin Shipton, Media Wales
- Business Reporter of the Year – Brian Meechan, BBC Cymru Wales
- Feature Writer of the Year – Kirstie McCrum, Media Wales
- Sports Reporter of the Year – Chris Wathan, Media Wales
- News Photographer of the Year – Mike Lewis, South Wales Argus
- Daily Newspaper of the Year – Western Mail
- Weekly Newspaper of the Year – Cambrian News
- Community Outlet of the Year – Caerphilly Observer
- News Website of the Year – WalesOnline
- TV News and Current Affairs Programme of the Year – Wales at Six, ITV Cymru Wales
- Radio News and Current Affairs Programme of the Year – Good Morning Wales, BBC Wales
- Scoop of the Year – Richard Gurner & Gareth Hill, Caerphilly Observer