The Argus in Brighton has put its three staff photographers at risk of redundancy, with one picture editor role to be created.
The move, announced in a letter from group editor Mike Gilson, left, comes after two of its five photographers were axed earlier in the year, along with two of its three features staff.
It is the latest in a number of redundancies to hit Newsquest photographers in recent months, which has seen the group reduce its number of staff photographers and rely on freelances instead.
A journalist at The Argus told HTFP: “They made some redundant a while ago and the ones who remained felt they were safe then but they were told there’s going to be one picture editor and that’s it.
“People are really not happy about it. It’s just such a mess, we don’t know what’s going on.”
Laura Davison, national organiser for the National Union of Journalists said: “These photographers have already been through the redundancy mill once this year. Now just a few short months later they are being told again that their skills and experience is no longer needed or valued.
“It’s blatant cost cutting by Newsquest with no regard to their staff as human beings. The unjust way people are being treated across the company is nothing short of scandalous.”
The news comes after The Argus last week launched a new free sister weekly called the Eastbourne Independent as part of a newspaper battle with Johnston Press, which has just bought a rival title on the Argus’s Brighton patch.
It is understood that a consultation period on the photographic job losses is now under way and is due to end on Friday 30 October
And earlier this week it was revealed that the Southern Daily Echo planned to axe two photographers as it moved towards greater use of user-generated content, freelances and images by other editorial staff.
No one from Newsquest had responded to a request for a comment at the time of publication.