23 October 2014

Horizontal Jobs Scroller

Call 01332 253069
to advertise here

Express and Star editor Faber quits after 11 years

Adrian Faber, left, with successor Keith Harrison

The editor of Britain’s biggest selling regional newspaper the Express & Star is to bow out after 11 years in the role, it was announced today.

Adrian Faber, who took over the editor’s seat in 2002, will leave the Wolverhampton-based title on 29 March.

He will be succeeded by Keith Harrison, his former deputy at the Express & Star who has edited sister evening title the Shropshire Star since August 2011.

It brings to a close a newspaper career which has seen Adrian edit no fewer than five regional dailies over the course of more than two decades.

Adrian joined Express & Star publisher the Midland News Association in 1998 as editor of the Shropshire Star before moving to his current role four years later.

He had previously edited the Gloucestershire Echo, the Bristol Evening Post and the Evening Argus in Brighton.

He said: “It has been an honour and a privilege to have been editor of Britain’s biggest regional newspaper for more than a decade.

“It’s never been dull. There have been some tough times but some unforgettable moments when we have been dealing with breaking news. I’ve been lucky to work with such a great team.”

Managing director Phil Inman paid tribute to Adrian for his contribution to the Express & Star’s success for more than a decade.

Said Phil: “Adrian has set a high editorial standard throughout his editorship, ensuring the Express & Star remains the first choice for readers in the region.

“Adrian informed me of his decision to step down in October but agreed to stay to play a lead role in some important projects.

“Using his considerable experience, he has contributed to the industry’s response to the Leveson Report. He has also made a major contribution to plans for the development of our portfolio.”

Keith will become the tenth editor in the Express & Star’s 128-year history when he takes over on March 30 and will also become the editorial representative on the MNA board.

He said: “I am extremely proud to have been asked to take over from Adrian, who has been a fantastic editor to work alongside.

“These are challenging but exciting times for the Express & Star and I’m looking forward to building on the traditional strengths of the paper, both in print and online.”

The MNA is now advertising on HoldtheFrontPage for a new editor for the Shropshire Star.

9 Comments

  1. Spanner

    A passionate and committed editor without peer in the regional press, with a great sense of humour.

    But you fail to point out his outstanding contribution to TV – A leading role in the creation of “News Bunny” I think.

    Report this comment

  2. The Big Exclusive

    Out of the frying pan…

    Report this comment

  3. MNA Newsman

    The celebrations in the newsroom will only be tempered by the thought of what comes next.

    Report this comment

  4. Onthefence, Telford

    AG finally saw through AF, or the other way around. Whatever, KH doesn’t seem to fit in alphabetically, but will find it hard to match with KP!

    Report this comment

  5. The Daily Mess

    Fresh blood will do the place a hell of a lot of good. Keith is a tough taskmaster but knows his stuff – should be an interesting few months ahead!h

    Report this comment

  6. onlooker

    the photo sums him up

    Report this comment

  7. Julie Curry, Whitby

    Congratulations Harry. All the way up the greasy pole, eh? Well done, old thing. Jules.

    Report this comment

  8. FormerHack

    Bring back Sarah-Jane!

    Report this comment

  9. The Big Exclusive

    Wonder if KH will continue the basic editorial policy of copying the Daily Mail story-for-story each day upon his glorious return to Wolverhampton?

    Fond memories of desperately trying to prove West Mids councils had hidden microchips in people’s bins, because the Mail claimed a council in Cornwall or somewhere was doing so.

    Or desperately trying to find some sort of weather-related emergency because the Mail said there should be one. Once had to photograph a few bricks that had fallen out of a two-foot high garden wall because it was a bit windy and we were told we HAD to find pictures on our patch to illustrate the ‘chaos’.

    I know the Mail’s obviously doing something right but can’t help but feel that the Star misses out on proper investigative stuff because its reporters spend all their time chasing after trivial nonsense and being told to make the facts fit the story, rather than the other way round.

    Report this comment



HoldtheFrontPage, Northcliffe House, Meadow Road, Derby DE1 2BH. Registered in England and Wales with Company No. 03031677
Powered by Wordpress, supported by Adaptive