Plans to launch a new three-times-a-week newspaper in a North Yorkshire seaside town are being delayed by six months amid staff defections.
A group of journalists in Scarborough had planned to launch the new title, Scarborough Voice, on 19 September with Monday, Wednesday and Friday editions.
The initiative followed the decision by Johnston Press earlier this year to switch the daily Scarborough Evening News to weekly publication.
But the team behind the proposed launch, which initially included several former SEN journalists, has now revealed its plans are being put on hold until March 2013.
The setback follows the launch of a website, scarboroughvoice.co.uk, last month ahead of the proposed print launch.
Editor of Scarborough Voice online Steven Thurston admitted the delay was a blow but said the company was now seeking new staff to replace some who have decided not to continue with the project.
He told HTFP: “The Scarborough Voice was due to launch in September 2012. We are having to revise the date due to a number unforseen circumstances, that require much more time than first anticipated, and a number of people who have been involved in the project from the start have decided that they are unable to continue with us.
“This of course has been a blow to us, but we are now moving forward with our plans, and seeking extra staff to help us achieve our goal.
“As you can imagine there has been a lot of interest in what we have been trying to achieve in the local area, and we want this product to be 100pc right.
“The revised launch is to be in March 2013, this gives us much more time to review what we have done so far, and set out our goals for the much anticipated launch.”
Steven said the website has received 13,000 hits to date and would continue.
He added: “The website has been very successful in its own right and we have had a great response from the community who have been helping to shape the stories in the area and have been contributing and sharing their news with us.”